Manchester is a city in the state of New Hampshire and it is the most populated one in the New England region. The city is acclaimed for being affordable to live in with thriving small businesses, an enjoyable climate, and high quality of education.
THINGS TO DO IN MANCHESTER, NH ON WEEKENDS:
- CURRIER MUSEUM OF ART: Aside from housing a collection of historic pieces of art, the museum itself is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places. You can find a vast collection of American and European art here, with exhibits for famous names like Matisse, Monet, and Picasso. The museum is also known for being the venue for touring art collections.
- ZIMMERMAN HOUSE: The Zimmerman House is one of the most popular tourist attractions as it displays fine architecture. The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was designed by the infamous Frank Lloyd Wright and it is the only one of his houses in the state that is open to the public.
- THE MALL OF NEW HAMPSHIRE: When you’re in the mood to do a little shopping, look no further than the Mall of New Hampshire where all your stores and boutiques can be found in one place. You can find anything from clothes to electronics and jewelry. There are also numerous cafes and restaurants offering delicious dishes in a convenient location.
THINGS TO DO IN MANCHESTER, NH FOR FREE:
- LAKE MASSABESIC: The lake is located between Manchester and Auburn, covering over 2,500 acres. The lake is protected from some human activities like swimming and water skiing, as it provides drinking water for the city, but kayaking and fishing are allowed. On the other hand, the hiking trails surrounding the lake offer a splendid view of the horizon.
- ST. JOSEPH CATHEDRAL: Many people find themselves admiring the inside and outside of this magnificent cathedral, no matter what religion they belong to. Anyone is welcome to come in during mass, with a strong possibility of feeling at peace during and afterward.
- PINE ISLAND PARK: This little hidden gem is popular with locals who bring their kids to play, especially because it is usually empty. The park has a playground with swings and slides, but the open grassy area can also be used to set up a picnic or get a game of football going.
THINGS TO DO IN MANCHESTER, NH WITH FAMILY AND KIDS:
- LIVINGSTON PARK: If you are looking to spend some time in nature, then this is the best park to do that. Not only are there several hiking trails that take you through the forest, but there are also areas that are suitable for families and kids. Thanks to the public pools in the summer and the playground, you can keep the little ones entertained for hours and treat them with ice cream afterward.
- NORTHEAST DELTA DENTAL STADIUM: Head to the Downtown area and visit the New Hampshire Fisher Cats minor league baseball team that is housed here. There is no better community activity than participating in a traditional American sports event that supports the home team. The stadium is also a popular venue for music concerts.
- SEE SCIENCE CENTER: For the curious minds, this science center is a well of interesting facts and inventions that explore the scientific fields involving light, sound, electricity, and more. There are several interactive exhibits that offer hands-on experience for kids and adults, like the Chemistry Lab, the kitchen, and a temporary Robotic Dinosaur exhibit.
FUN THINGS TO DO IN MANCHESTER, NH:
- STUDIO 550 ART CENTER: For those who want to explore the creative world of art, this is the perfect place to take classes for beginners. You can learn just about anything from acrylic and water painting to stained glass and pottery. The classes are available for both kids and adults with after-school programs and summer camps.
- PALACE THEATER: This imitation of the historic New York City Palace Theater has made a mark of its own as it is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is a leading venue for all events related to performing arts, and it can seat over a thousand people. What was once known for showcasing movies is now the venue for dance and ballet recitals, as well as comedians and live musicians.
- SNHU ARENA: If there is a big celebrity coming to town for a concert or show, they will most likely do it in this arena. Thanks to the large audience that can be seated and the management’s strong ability to handle crowds, events here always go off without a hitch. Big names like KISS and Jeff Dunham have performed here in the past.
Manchester has several historic landmarks with wonderful stories to tell. You can learn anything from art to science by simply exploring the city.