For most car owners, a cracked windshield does not seem like a big issue. However, if left broken for a long time, a broken windshield can lead to problems and even fatalities. Why? On coming in contact with moisture and water, the cracks in a windshield can expand and become bigger, making it difficult for you to see clearly. Similarly, a cracked windshield can even become a cause of you getting a ticket from the local traffic police. Thus, if you have a cracked windshield, make sure to get it checked immediately.
Here’s Why You Must Fix Your Cracked Windshield Immediately
If you are not already convinced yet, let us tell you about some other dangers posed by a cracked windshield in detail.
- The windshield supports the roof. However, in case of accidents, a cracked windshield is not able to support the roof properly, often causing the roof to collapse. A cracked windshield has been a major cause of wounds and injuries in case of many accidents.
- In the case of a car accident, an airbag can make the difference between life and death. If the windshield is cracked, the airbag won’t properly, thereby increasing one’s chances of sustaining injuries and wounds during an accident.
- A broken windshield can be especially dangerous in case of front-end accidents. In the case of front-end accidents, when a person is not wearing a seatbelt, chances of them smashing into the cracked glass are quite high. This, in turn, can cause major accidents and leave a person wounded.
Here’s What You Can Do to Fix the Problem Temporarily
If you have a cracked windshield, here are a few things you can do to take care of the problem temporarily.
- If you are dealing with a minute crack, use super glue to keep the broken glass together. The superglue will also prevent the glass from breaking further.
- Go to a local auto repair shop and buy a good windshield kit. While the windshield kit won’t permanently fix the problem, it will certainly prove to be a good temporary fix and stop the cracks from expanding further.
- Lastly, while driving a car with a cracked windshield, make it a point to always park the car in a cool and dry shade. This will not only protect your car from the damaging effects of sunlight and moisture but will also keep the cracks from extending further.
Should You Opt for Repair or Replacement?
Until a few years ago, a cracked windshield meant the car owner had to replace the entire windshield. All thanks to advances in technology, today it is possible to mend cracks in the windshield. However, mending cracks isn’t easy and even a small mistake while mending cracks can lead to physical as well as legal danger. Thus, if you are planning to get your windshield’s cracks repaired instead of mended, make sure to consult an expert.
Further, windshield repair is always cheaper than replacement and when done right, repairs can stop a crack from spreading further. Further, most insurance companies usually only cover repair costs. Thus, if you are operating on a constricted budget and are only dealing with a small crack, it’s best to go with the windshield repair.
However, in case you are dealing with a huge crack, you will have to get your windshield replaced. In case of replacement, the technician will remove the entire glass and replace it with a new one. Though windshield replacement is expensive, it is always the safest option. However, know that if you decide to go with windshield replacement, you won’t be able to drive your car for a while as urethane takes some time to bond with the glass. In any case, if you are dealing with a cracked windshield, make it a point to fix the problem immediately.